For a big club to pay anywhere between £10 million and £20 million for a teenager, they would have to see some serious potential in the player. The players in our top 10 are all well-known, while some have established themselves amongst Europe’s elite, and others have struggled to deal with the pressure.
The Fan Park brings you the top 10 most expensive teenage transfers in football.
10. Alexandre Pato – Internacional To AC Milan £16 Million
The Brazilian joined the Italian giants at the age of just 17, but now at 25-years-old, he is back in Brazil playing for Corinthians.
9. John Obi Mikel – Lyon To Chelsea £16 million
The Nigerian star joined Chelsea at the age of 19, and now at 27-years-old, he is still on the books of the Blues.
8. Sergio Aguero – Indipendiente To Atletico Madrid £16 Million
After having made his debut in Argentina at the age of 15, Aguero moved to Atletico Madrid, where he gained a reputation for his goal-scoring ability.
7. Romelu Lukaku – Anderlecht To Chelsea £18 Million
The towering Belgian joined Chelsea at 18-years-old, but failed to break in to their first-team, before joining Everton.
6. Anderson – Porto to Manchester United £18 Million
He was 19 when he joined the Red Devils, and after arriving with great expectations, he failed to live up to them.
5. Sergio Ramos – Sevilla To Real Madrid £18.5 Million
The defender was 19-years-old when he moved to Los Blancos, and has established himself as one of their top players.
4. Antonio Cassano – Bari To AS Roma £19.5 Million
Although he never reached the heights that many expected of him, Cassano is still one of football’s most expensive teenage transfers, after joining Roma at 19-years-old.
3. Wayne Rooney – Everton To Manchester United £25.6 Million
The England international joined the Red Devils at the age of 18, and scored a hat-trick on his senior debut in a 6-2 win against Fenerbahce.
2. Marquinhos – AS Roma To Paris Saint-Germain £27 Million
The Brazilian joined the French giants on the lucrative five-year deal at the age of 19.
1. Luke Shaw – Southampton To Manchester United £31 Million
The 18-year-old defender joined the Red Devils at the beginning of this season, after impressive performances for Southampton’s first team at just 17.
Who do you think will be the next teenager to break onto this list?