The Premier Soccer League has responded strongly on ‘regrettable comments’, following last night's Absa Premiership match between Mamelodi Sundowns and SuperSport United.
Following Downs’ 2-0 loss against Matsatsantsa, the Brazilians’ head coach Pitso Mosimane appeared to be frustrated with the league as he spoke during his post-match interview on television.
“It will be tough, we have to travel to Polokwane tomorrow (Thursday) because we can’t travel on Friday, I think you know what happens on the M1 on Good Friday, you don’t want to spend seven hours and we thought we will travel on Friday but there are no flights, so we will travel tomorrow and rest in Polokwane, forget about football a little bit,” the coach said in part.
The league has since issued a statement about ‘regrettable comments’ in saying:
- After last night’s Absa Premiership fixture between Mamelodi Sundowns and SuperSport United, certain regrettable comments were made.
- The League does not generally comment on matters such as these which must be dealt with responsibly and with the affected persons.
- One aspect that must be clarified relates to the congested fixture list faced by Mamelodi Sundowns.
- The congestion faced is the result of Mamelodi Sundowns continental success, which is to be celebrated. The League has however made every effort to accommodate Mamelodi Sundowns in very difficult circumstances.
- The remaining Mamelodi Sundowns fixtures are on dates and times provided by the club in a proposal of the 25th of March 2019 which is attached and was accepted by the League.
The League will not make any further comment on the matter.