It seems that the current saga between Mamelodi Sundowns and Percy Tau is very similar to the events which took place between the club and Keagan Dolly.
Dolly and his camp were involved in a dispute with Sundowns, prior to finally completing his move to Montpellier in France last year, January.
Sundowns went as far as taking the winger and his camp to the DRC in order to settle the matter of an error regarding a buyout clause in Dolly’s contract.
In addition, before Dolly made the move away on January 27, Sundowns turned down several offers for the player, from the likes of Greek giants, Olympiacos as well as bids from Montpellier before finally agreeing to a figure from the French club.
With that being said, it seems that similar events are taking place with regards to Tau’s move to Europe.
Sundowns are locked in negotiations with English Premier League side, Brighton and Hove Albion about a transfer fee for Tau’s services; with the player and his camp believe to have grown frustrated with the lengthy negotiations.
Tau’s representative, Mmatsatsi Sefalafala took to the Sunday Times, confirming talks with Sundowns about Brighton’s interest in the player.
“We’ve had several meetings with Sundowns and two of them included the president. Around March I was contacted by Brighton and we started engaging… Brighton prepared an offer and I sent the offer to Yogesh via email…” Sefalafala said in part.
The Chloorkop-based club thereafter took to their official website saying, “Mamelodi Sundowns have stated on numerous occasions over the past 18 months that it is committed to ensuring that Percy Tau plays and pursues his career in Europe.
"We have been saddened by misrepresentations and false statements in the media concerning discussions for Percy Tau to play in Europe.”
The player then responded on his Instagram account saying, “By the way, there’s no false statements,” and quickly deleted it from his Instagram stories.
This seemed like a clear indication that things between the club and the player were not running smoothly, with Tau also no reporting to preseason camp with the Brazilians.
The Siya crew reported yesterday that the 24-year-old was still not in training, however, a few hours later, the Brazilians released a statement on their official website confirming that the player has apologised for not reporting to training and that Patrice Motsepe gave instructions to management to finalize the deal with Brighton and Hove Albion.
With that being said, the similarities with Dolly and Tau’s situations are that both these players were and are still pushing for a move away from Sundowns.
However, the difference is that Dolly had a buyout clause in his contract with Masandawana, while Sundowns have all the say in the price tag on Tau’s services.