Wits Respond To Mlambo’s Training Comments
Bidvest Wits’ CEO, Jose Ferreira, says that he hopes Xola Mlambo’s claims about being stopped from training with the Clever Boys was just an ‘unfortunate’ choice of words.
The 26-year-old completed his move to Orlando Pirates on Monday after weeks of speculation surrounding his future, with the Buccaneers confirming his arrival at the Soweto giants ahead of their game this week.
Following the move, Mlambo was quoted as saying that he was ‘stopped from training’ with the Clever Boys, saying, “Mpho Makola is special, he is more of a brother than a teammate for me. When things were bad and I didn’t train for three weeks because I was stopped from training with Wits.”
However Ferreira has explained the situation, stating that that decision was only made once an agreement had been reached with the Buccaneers.
He told the Siya crew, “Bidvest Wits and Orlando Pirates reached an agreement on the transfer of Xola Mlambo three weeks ago. At that stage I personally met Xola and advised him, and thereafter his agent, that it would no longer be necessary for him to train with us pending finalisation of the written club to club transfer agreement, his contract with Orlando Pirates, as well as resolving outstanding matters dealing with the termination of agreements between our club and Xola, as well as his agent.
“I also advised our coach that Xola would no longer be training with the team pending the finalisation of all these agreements. For reasons that are well known to Xola’s agent all these issues were only finalized on Monday this week. I would like to believe that Xola’s choice of words when he says that he “was stopped from training” were just unfortunate. To suggest anything else, as the media have implied from his words, would be startling coming from a professional football player. I have no doubt that the former is true and not the latter.”
Mlambo played 21 times domestically for Wits during his season and a half with the club.