Following the news that he has rejected a proposed R16 million move, Tashreeq Matthews’ club sporting director has now broken his silence on the matter.
On Wednesday, Swedish publication Sportsbladet, reported that MLS outfit Toronto FC have tabled a bid of SEK 10 million (±R16 million), however, according to the publication, the 21-year-old rejected the deal.
Now, Varberg Bois’ sporting director Martin Pringle has broken his silence on the matter, revealing that Matthews will remain with the Swedish outfit indefinitely, adding that he will form part of the team for next season.
“Yes, so far it looks like that anyway [that he will be part of Varbergs next season]. But the transfer window closes on March 31, both you and I know that. In this world, you never know, but right now it's our player,” Pringle told Fotbolldirekt.
Eyebrows were raised when the former Borussia Dortmund midfielder had not yet turned up for training with the Swedish outfit, although Pringle says he expects the player to link up with the squad soon.
“He has been in quarantine in South Africa, due to Covid-19. When he was going to travel back, he had to take a PCR test, so he stayed, but he's back soon,” he added.
Matthews formed an integral part of the Varbergs team last season, chipping in with five goals and five assists to his name.
View gallery to see images of DStv Premiership players with the most assists!