Mamelodi Sundowns have provided an update inside their Royal Marang base regarding Covid-19 cases following several tests by the club.
The Brazilians have been in camp in Rustenburg for more than two weeks now having travelled there in anticipation of the Premier Soccer League restart on July 18 and have taken the decision to remain there despite the return to action has now been moved.
“Mamelodi Sundowns welcomed back five personnel (staff and players) who have fully recovered from Covid-19, having spent 14 days in isolation,” read a statement on the club’s website on Tuesday evening.
“Following the PSL’s green light for clubs to train, Mamelodi Sundowns players, technical team and support staff went for their second Covid-19 test whilst the training grounds were fumigated and prepared for the team, the training programme was also revised in accordance with the new protocols. Before the team could resume training in Rustenburg, a third test was conducted, and five cases of asymptomatic nature were detected and the five immediately self-isolated for fourteen days.”
The club has said there was no further concern after more medical tests and the players in question have since been given the all clear to start training.
Sundowns, the defending Absa Premiership champions, had been in lockdown like the rest of the PSL clubs when the domestic season was halted in mid-March due to the Coronavirus outbreak across the globe.
“We have to look after ourselves now that the virus has come closer to home, we have to sanitize, wash our hands, we have to wear a mask, social distance, eat well, look after our bodies, respect the virus and we need to stay home, as everyone has said the virus does not move itself we move the virus,” explained team doctor Carl Tabane.
Scroll through the images of Downs hard at training in Rustenburg