Mamelodi Sundowns co-coach Manqoba Mngqithi has revealed which positions they are likely to prioritise when the transfer window opens.
Sundowns rarely waste an opportunity to reinforce their squad during the transfer window and you can expect them to bring in new faces ahead of the 2022/23 campaign.
After their 1-1 draw with Kaizer Chiefs at FNB Stadium on Sunday, Mngqithi commented on which positions they will prioritise once the window is open. Sundowns are determined to have another go at the CAF Champions League and they will be looking at bringing in players who can add value at that level of competition, while they look to continue their domestic dominance.
"I do believe it does (need reinforcements). We lost Ricardo Nascimento in the left centre-back position, so we only have Mosa Lebusa as a left centre-back. As it is now, we have three centre backs out - Brian (Onyango), Rush (Rushine de Reuck) and Grant (Kekana). We had to use Divine Lunga in the central defence position, so that already says that if we were still in the semi-finals of the Champions League, we would have played with that central defence and that says it's an area we need to look at," Mngqithi told media at FNB Stadium after the game.
"The central midfield, we lost Riva (Rivaldo Coetzee) earlier on in the season and we might still need to reinforce, probably with a bit of a different profile of a central midfielder in terms of the physical profile and all the other elements that may be important in that space. Upfront, in as much as we have scored important goals, we have not scored enough in terms of the chances we have created. We are too reliant on Peter (Shalulile) in as much as there were many other players who chipped in with a few goals. I do believe we might look to reinforce that area. There are other areas which are probably not as primary as those areas. Those three positions really need reinforcement."
Take Part In Our Big Three Quiz & Win TAB Betting Vouchers!