Mamelodi Sundowns have on Monday issued a statement on the future of Gaston Sirino, who has been the subject of a potential transfer to Al Ahly.
In it, the club confirms that talks with the Egyptian giants have officially been terminated given the North Africans are unable to meet their demands over his price tag.
Siya sources have in the past told the crew that Sundowns were willing to release Sirino for an estimated R50-million, especially after the midfielder signed a new lucrative contract as recent as June this year, while Pitso Mosimane was still head coach.
Mosimane was appointed Ahly coach in October, and it’s understood none of the bids from his new employers met Downs’ valuation.
“Mamelodi Sundowns FC today announced that it has terminated discussions with Al Ahly SC as the two clubs are too far from each other on the transfer fee for Gaston Sirino,” read the statement issued by Downs.
“The good relations between the President of Al Ahly, Mr Mahmoud El Khatib and the President of Mamelodi Sundowns, Dr Patrice Motsepe will continue as well as the good relations between Mamelodi Sundowns and Al Ahly but there is no point or purpose in continuing the discussions on Gaston Sirino.”
The Brazilians added that the Uruguayan talisman, who told the Siya crew last month that he wanted to leave and reunite with Mosimane, must now focus on fighting for his place in the club’s star studded side.
“Mamelodi Sundowns will continue releasing players to European, African and other football countries like it did for Percy Tau, Keagan Dolly, Bongani Zungu, Ivorian International Siaka Tiéné and other players but the transfer fee must be competitive as Mamelodi Sundowns is consistently paying high and internationally competitive transfer fees for the players that it acquires,” the statement read further.
“Gaston Sirino must now focus on his football and compete for a starting position at Mamelodi Sundowns.”
Story by @superjourno
Check out the long list of players who've left Downs this year...