Mamelodi Sundowns have officially confirmed that they are in “ongoing talks” with Kaizer Chiefs over the sale of Khama Billiat!
As reported by the Siya crew last month, the Brazilians have been keen to try and lure back the Zimbabwean talisman just a year after he’d left them to join Amakhosi as a free agent - having won three league titles as well as the CAF Champions League with Downs.
While coach Pitso Mosimane had told journalists two weeks ago that everyone had a price, he had avoided confirming that the two clubs were in discussion.
But speaking for the first time since the shock revelation by the Siya crew, the Brazilians have now broken their silence.
“This is a sensitive matter, and we have mutual respect for Kaizer Chiefs – so I won’t be disclosing too much information. But what I can tell you is that we have been in ongoing discussions for some time now about Khama Billiat,” explained Yogesh Singh, who is the Sundowns acting general manager.
It is understood the reigning league champions have put in a big money offer to buy Billiat back. But Singh wouldn’t be drawn into those discussion.
“What I can say is that the transfer window ends on August 31 and obviously all over the world players are moving during this period and it is no different here. If there’s no movement beyond that, then it is what it is. And the respect between the two clubs will remain,” he said.
Billiat, 28, has missed Chiefs’ opening two league matches, with coach Ernst Middendorp saying he was still recovering from a knock sustained during the AFCON and aggravated when he featured in the pre-season Carling Black Label Cup on July 27.