South African midfielder, Bongani Zungu, says that he’s saddened by the way that he was left out of the latest Bafana Bafana squad for the upcoming qualifiers.
Zungu, who has played 24 games for Amiens in France this season, was one of the surprise exclusions from Molefi Ntseki’s squad for the two games against Sao Tome and Principe this month, with the coach opting for different midfield options for the two 2021 African Cup of Nations qualifiers.
The 27-year-old scored two goals for Bafana at last year’s AFCON in Egypt, and recently put in fine performances in draws against the likes of Paris Saint-Germain, Strasbourg and Marseille.
Now, having been left out of the squad this month, the former Mamelodi Sundowns man says that he was disappointed to have found out about being dropped via social media, as the squad was announced on Thursday.
Zungu said, "Obviously I'm shocked and really sad that I'm not in the latest Bafana squad. I want to play for my country and help them reach the African Cup of Nations, and while it is obviously up to the coach who is in and who isn't, I would really have appreciated a call or a message to explain why.
"I've overcome my injury problems and I'm now playing regularly and feel like I'm getting back to my best against teams like PSG and Marseille, and it's obviously sad for me that I won't be able to help Bafana in the upcoming games.
"Like I said, I know that I don't own a place in the squad and that it is the coach's choice, but I feel it would have at least been fair to find out that I wasn't in the squad from him rather than on social media.
"I want to wish the entire squad and the coach the best of luck against Sao Tome and Principe, hopefully they can come away with six big points in our mission to get to AFCON 2021."
Zungu is suspended for this weekend’s Ligue 1 game against Angers this weekend, and has been given leave to attend a friend’s funeral back home in South Africa, but is expected to start next week against Dijon.