Joan Laporta was officially presented as FC Barcelona president at the Camp Nou on Wednesday night, where he apologised to Lionel Messi, who was in attendance, before sending the six-time Ballon d'Or winner a message.
Click through the gallery above to see Laporta’s official welcome as president, including pictures of those who attended the big event!
The Camp Nou was the venue where hundreds gathered to watch Laporta officially be presented as Barcelona’s new leader, including Messi, Gerard Pique and Sergi Roberto.
Prior to his induction speech, Laporta was seen embracing the Argentine in the stands, but bravely took things a step further once he got on the microphone.
With Laporta very much focusing his presidency campaign on convincing Messi to stay, the 58-year-old touched on the club captain’s future in front of those in attendance, before he claimed that the 33-year-old would be less set on leaving if fans were allowed at the stadium.
See below for some of the latest transfer news surrounding Barcelona following Laporta's return!
"We're going to try and convince him to stay because he is the best ever and, forgive me for this Leo, but Barcelona loves you and I love you," he said, according to LiveSoccerTV.
"If this stadium was full, I'm sure you wouldn't be able to leave. We will try to make him stay, but whatever you decide will be fine by us."
Messi’s contract in Spain runs out at the end of the season, with Paris Saint-Germain and Manchester City said to be heavily interested in his signature should he decide not to sign a new deal.
There is a feeling surrounding the club that he could commit himself to Barcelona following Laporta’s return as president, after the Spaniard previously served as chief from 2003-2010.