With Manchester United yet to make a signing ahead of the next campaign, new reports suggest they have been beaten to one of their targets by crosstown rivals Manchester City.
The Citizens have also been quiet in the transfer window so far, but Portuguese paper Record has claimed they are close to securing Juventus right-back Joao Cancelo's signature.
The Sun had previously reported that United saw Cancelo as replacement for Antonio Valencia, who will leave Old Trafford upon the expiration of his contract.
Red Devils representatives reportedly opened talks with the Portuguese player's agent, Jorge Mendes, in the beginning of May, but were unable to make any real progress.
City, though, are believed to be edging closer to meeting the Bianconeri's €60 million (R963 million) asking price for the 24-year-old, with Guardiola said to be keen to bring in a new right-back to rival Kyle Walker for a starting berth, while Danilo has somewhat fallen out of favour.
Cancelo joined Juventus at the beginning of the 2018/19 campaign and has made 34 appearances for the Serie A champions, during which he assisted eight goals and scored one himself.
However, the Bianconeri are unlikely to authorise any player departure until they have found a new manager to replace Massimiliano Allegri, who is set to vacate his position after the club's final Serie A game of the season.
Meanwhile, according to Football Italia, Guardiola himself is on Juve's wish list of managers to succeed Allegri, and is said to have met the Turin club's chiefs on Tuesday.
Do you think City need a stronger right-back? Have your say in the comments section below.