Ivory Coast captain Yaya Toure is the only African star on France Football’s Top 20 rich list, which is topped by Lionel Messi.
The Manchester City midfielder, sits just outside the top 10, and shares 11th place with Chelsea’s Eden Hazard.
Both stars earned €20 million in 2014 form their basic salary and endorsement deals, which is less than a third of what Messi earned during the same period.
Here the complete list of best-paid players in 2014 (basic salary and endorsement deals) according to France Football:
1. Lionel Messi (Barcelona): €65 million
2. Cristiano Ronaldo (Real Madrid): €54 million
3. Neymar (Barcelona): €36.5 million
4. Thiago Silva (Paris Saint-Germain): €27.5 million
5. Robin Van Persie (Manchester United): €25.6 million
6. Gareth Bale (Real Madrid): €23.8 million
7. Wayne Rooney (Manchester United): €22.5 million
8. Zlatan Ibrahimovic (Paris Saint-Germain): €21.5 million
9. Sergio Aguero (Manchester City): €21.2 million
10. Robert Lewandowski (Bayern Munich): €20.2 million
11. Yaya Toure (Manchester City) and Eden Hazard (Chelsea): €20 million
13. Angel Di Maria and Radamel Falcao (Manchester United): €18.5 million
15. Iker Casillas (Real Madrid): €17.8 million
16. David Silva (Manchester City) and Cesc Fabregas (Chelsea): €17.3 million
18. David Luiz (Paris Saint-Germain): €17.2 million
19. Karim Benzema (Real Madrid): €17 million
20. Mario Gotze (Bayern Munich): €16.9 million
Who do you think will be the next African star to make it on Football’s top 20 rich list? Have your say in the comments section below.