Barcelona have continued to tie down their top stars as the club has revealed that midfielder Xavi has extended his stay until 2016.
The Spain international, who turns 33 on Friday, extended his contract by another two years, with his previous deal having been set to expire in June 2013.
Xavi admitted that he was "excited to play for Barca for many years to come", even though he understands the demands that come at a top club.
"This is a special day because it means I'll spend more years at Barca, this is where I want to be. My first choice was always to stay here. The club has made an effort and I am grateful," he told the club's official website.
When he eventually hangs up his boots, he is confident that Barca have enough talent in the ranks to fill his place though.
"There are many players that are able to play in my position and they’ve shown that they can do it," said Xavi when asked about who would replace him when he decides to hang up his boots. Barça will continue to perform when I’m not around."
A statement on the club's official website read, "Xavi Hernandez will be a FC Barcelona player through June 30 of 2016 after he signed his contract extension with FC Barcelona this afternoon. President Sandro Rosell, vice-president Josep Maria Bartomeu and Sporting Director Andoni Zubizarreta were all present at the signing ceremony.
"The Catalan midfielder, who turned 33 years old this Friday, thus extends his contract with the club for two additional years. The player’s contract was due to expire on June 30 of 2014. Xavi and Carles Puyol, who extended his contract with the club last week, are the latest players to commit their futures to FC Barcelona."