Real Madrid’s record-signing, Gareth Bale, says the Los Blancos are eyeing revenge against Borussia Dortmund when they host the Germans in the Champions League tonight.
Both sides met in last year’s semi-final, but Dortmund stopped Real’s dreams of their tenth European title. Following their slip to third place in La Liga, Carlo Ancelotti’s side are now targeting the 'decima' in the Champions League this year.
Bale, who scored a brace in Real’s recent 5-0 against Rayo Vallecano, has admitted he left Tottenham in the summer to play these type of games.
"I think it was important we responded well and got everything back on track," he told Real MadridTV.
“We're massively looking forward to the Dortmund game. That is why you want to be playing football is to play in the big games.
“We are fully focussed on Wednesday night and hopefully we can do a good job."
The 24-year-old has been involved in five goals (two scored and three assisted) in Real’s quarter-finals against Schalke, and hopes he can continue this record against German opposition.
His coach, Carlo Ancelotti, has defended the Welshman who shines in a few games, but goes missing in others.
“I think it’s true that he’s a bit in and out, but that’s a characteristic of an attacker,” the Italian said.
“You can’t be a constant influence like a player such as Xabi Alonso, for example.”
Ancelotti has denied suggestions that Bale, who played left-back in earlier years of his career, would replace the injured Marcelo in defence.
“No, no. Bale will play in attack,” he added.
“We have a lot of options: we have Nacho and (Raphael) Varane, who can play at full-back. We also have (Sergio) Ramos.
“Bale at left-back isn’t an option.”
Should a player Gareth Bale’s value be more consistent in his performances? Have your say in the comment section below.