Click through the gallery to find out who are the most highly valued players in world football in recent years.
According to Transfermarket’s latest update on player values of Bundesliga players, Thomas Muller has become the highest valued German in history.
Muller is currently valued at €55 million, an amount previously only reached by Mario Goetze, whose recent performances have decreased his value to €50 million.
However, both are still far away from the top 10 most valued players in world football history.
Transfermarket compiled the following list with the highest player values of current and former stars at the peak of their careers:
10) Andriy Shevchenko, AC Milan in 2006, €65 million, retired
9) Xavi Hernandez, FC Barcelona in 2010, €65 million - current value: €5 million
8) Angel Di Maria, Manchester United in 2014, €65 million
7) Kaka, AC Milan in 2007, €70 million - current value: €6 million
6) Andres Iniesta, FC Barcelona in 2012, €70 million - current value: €35 million
5) Ronaldinho, FC Barcelona in 2007, €80 million - current value: €1.5 million
4) Gareth Bale, Real Madrid in 2013, €80 million
3) Neymar, FC Barcelona in 2015, €80 million
2) Cristiano Ronaldo, Real Madrid in 2014, €120 million
1) Lionel Messi, FC Barcelona in 2012, €120 million
While Messi, Ronaldo, Neymar, Bale and Di Maria are currently valued at their peak, the worth of Shevchenko, Xavi, Kaka, Iniesta and Ronaldinho has decreased since they reached their best days.
Do you think Neymar and Gareth Bale can replace Lionel Messi and Cristiano Ronaldo as most valued players? Have your say in the comment section below.