Cristiano Ronaldo dedicated his two goals in Real Madrid’s 3-0 win over Celta Vigo last night to Portuguese legend Eusebio, who passed away on Sunday.
Before the game at the Santiago Bernabeu a minute of silence was tributed to one of football'sgreatest alongside with a video showing Eusebio with Ronaldo and other Real Madrid greats such as Alfredo di Stefano.
Portugal international, Cristiano Ronaldo, expressed his gratitude for the tributes for Eusebio.
"I want to thank everyone, especially to all the people in Spain for the homage they have paid to Eusebio. For the Portuguese it is very important to feel the warmth shown by the Spanish people," said the Real forward.
"He was someone who was very close to me and obviously my goals today were dedicated to him.
"He helped me a lot with the national team and he is an example for us. It is very sad that we have lost one of the greatest players of all time."
The two goals were Ronaldo’s number 19 and 20 in La Liga this season, which means he now levels Luis Suarez in the European Golden Boot race.
The 28-year-old also revealed publicly for the first time that he will attend this year’s FIFA ceremony in Zurich where the 2013 FIFA Ballon d’Or winner will be announced on January 13.
Previously Ronaldo indicated he wouldn’t attend the ceremony following comments from FIFA president, Sepp Blatter, criticising the manner of behaving on the field.
"Yes, I will go to the ceremony," he said.
"I don't know if it is fair whether I win, or whether it is Ribery or Messi.
"I always try to do my job in the same way and help Real Madrid by scoring goals. If I win then it will be great, but if I don't then my life will continue and I will remain the same person."
What could have changed Ronaldo’s decision to attend the ceremony, will he win the FIFA Ballon d’Or this year? Have your say in the comment section below.