Just days after Manchester City were slapped with a two-year ban from European football, manager Pep Guardiola has now found himself at the centre of an unrelated blackmail attempt made against him and the club.
On Thursday, reports emerged that a 30-year-old man had been arrested and released under investigation in connection with a 2017 hacking and blackmail attempt made against City manager Guardiola.
According to Sport, the former FC Barcelona boss' emails, which are believed to have related to players' contracts and transfers, were hacked and subsequently used in an attempt to solicit money from the Spaniard.
"Greater Manchester Police are currently investigating allegations made regarding the Computer Misuse Act," a police spokesperson said.
"A 30-year-old man was arrested on suspicion of offences under the Computer Misuse Act 1990. He has been released under investigation."
Click through the gallery below for images of nine clubs that were expelled from their leagues
The club also released a statement in respect of the incident:
"While we had terminated the services of this consultant and the company he was contracted to two years ago, we were unaware of the serious crimes he is alleged to have committed whilst working with us and the subsequent alleged attempts to profit from those crimes,” said a City spokesperson.
"It is a matter of public record that we have been the target of several criminal attacks through our IT systems in recent years."
Do you think Pep will still be Man City's manager next season? Share your thoughts by commenting in the section below.