Did you know that Chelsea star Eden Hazard was once involved in the so called ‘burger-gate’ affair? No, we didn’t either, and that’s why he has been selected as the next star in our 5 Things feature.
The 24-year-old has often been proclaimed as a player who can reach the level of Lionel Messi and Cristiano Ronaldo, but here are five things you may or may not have known about the Belgian.
1) Football parents. Eden Hazard’s parents both played football. His father, Thierry, played for semi-professional side La Louviere in the Belgian Second Division and his mother was a striker in the Women’s First Division.
2) Football brothers. Eden is the oldest of four brothers who all play football. His brother Thorgan recently signed a permanent contract for Bundesliga side Gladbach. His 19-year-old brother Kylian plays for Belgian Pro League side Zulte Waregem, while 11-year-old Ethan remains playing in the youth academy of Eden's former club Tubize.
3) Scouted as a four-year-old. He joined his hometown club, Royal Stade Brainois at the tender age of just four. He spent eight years at the club before moving to Tubize. After two years, he joined French Ligue 1 side Lille where he made his professional debut as a 17-year-old. Three years later he signed for Chelsea for around £32 million.
4) Burger-Gate. Belgium were playing Turkey in July, 2010. Hazard started the game but was subbed an hour into it. He went straight into the locker room and minutes later, was photographed eating a burger outside the stadium! The incident was later referred to as ‘burger gate’.
5) 100% penalty record. On 5 October 2014, he won a penalty against Arsenal after being fouled by Laurent Koscielny, and then converted it himself. In doing so, he maintained his 100 percent penalty record with 16 penalties to his name. He also became the only player in Europe who has taken more than 15 penalties and scored all of them.
Did you know these facts about Eden Hazard? Have your say in the comments section below.