A Germany striker announced his surprise retirement from international football on Wednesday after he was snubbed for a place in his country's provisional 27-man squad for the 2018 FIFA World Cup in Russia.
Click through the gallery above to see some other stars who were snubbed for their 2018 FIFA World Cup squads.
Bayern Munich forward Sandro Wagner, who was part of Die Mannschaft's Confederations Cup-winning side last year, was left out by manager Joachim Low, who decided to go with uncapped SC Freiburg striker Nils Petersen instead of the 30-year-old.
Wagner, who scored five goals in eight games for Germany, has explained why he has decided to retire from international competition, and seemingly a sly dig at Low and his coaching staff in the process.
"I hereby resign immediately from the national team," Wagner told Bild.
"For me, it is clear that I do not seem to fit with the coaching team with my way – always open, honest and direct to address things.
"I wish my boys only the best in Russia and hope they come back as world champions."
The former Hoffenheim star, who was spotted in tears during a training session at Bayern on Tuesday shortly after Low's announcement, also admitted he was disappointed at being left out, but said he would not dwell on it for too long.
"I would be lying if I said I am not disappointed. Playing in the World Cup would have been great," he added.
"Of course, I cannot take this seriously, but as I have often said in the past, there are more important things in life than football."
The reigning World Cup champions have been drawn in Group F alongside Mexico, Sweden and South Korea.
Do you think Wagner deserved a place in Germany's World Cup squad? Have your say in the comments section below.