The Top Goalscorers In UCL Update
The Top Goalscorers In The UEFA Champions League Update
Cristiano Ronaldo remains the only player who can stop Lionel Messi from lifting his sixth UEFA Champions League Golden Boot award – here is an update of the top marksmen in the UCL.
Tired of reading? Click through the gallery to see the best goalscorers in the UCL this season.
The Portuguese failed to find the back of the net in the second leg of Real Madrid's semi-final against Atletico Madrid, but his side's 4-2 aggregate win ensured Ronaldo will have one more go at Messi's tally.
The Portuguese's longstanding rival leads this season’s UCL goalscoring charts with 11 strikes, one more than the Los Blancos superstar.
The 32-year-old will have to find a way to score against Juventus' stern defence, however – they have conceded only three goals in the competition so far – otherwise Messi will claim the 2016/17 UCL Golden Boot.
Antoine Griezmann and Kylian Mbappe were the only players out of the top 10 goalscorers who found the back of the net this past week, taking their respective tallies to six strikes each, but they will not be able to add to their counts.
Only Ronaldo's teammate Karim Benzema and Juventus striker Gonzalo Higuain can still climb up the ranking, but would need at least three goals to jump into this season's top three.
Here are the top 11 goalscorers in the UCL this season:
1) Lionel Messi (Barca) – 11 goals
2) Cristiano Ronaldo (Real) – 10 goals **
3) Edinson Cavani (PSG) – 8 goals
4) Robert Lewandowski (Bayern) – 8 goals
5) Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang (BVB) – 7 goals
6) Antoine Griezmann (Atletico) – 6 goals [+1 goal this round of matches]
7) Kylian Mbappe (Monaco) – 6 goals [+1 goal this round of matches]
8) Gonzalo Higuain (Juve) – 5 goals **
9) Karim Benzema (Real) – 5 goals **
10) Radamel Falcao (Monaco) – 5 goals
** Players still in this season's competition.
Both Ronaldo and Messi have been crowned the competition's top goalscorer four times, and shared the Golden Boot with Neymar in 2014/15.
Do you think Ronaldo can still reach Messi's tally of 11 goals? Have your say in the comments section below.