Maccabi FC is set to participate in this year’s ABC Motsepe League play-offs, following a ruling held at the latest South African Football Association Disciplinary Committee hearing in Johannesburg.
Maccabi won the Gauteng’s ABC Motsepe League for this season. However, confirmation of the team’s participation in the national play-offs for a chance to move to the NFD next season had been delayed due to corruption and match-fixing allegations.
SAFA has since confirmed on its official website that Maccabi will participate in this year’s play-offs.
Maccabi FC have been confirmed as the final ABC Motsepe side that will take part in this year’s ABC Motsepe League National Playoffs after the DC ruled in their favour this week.
This year’s play-offs are set to take place in East London from June 05 to June 11. SAFA provided further details on how the ruling was handed on the DC case between Maccabi and Vaal Professionals that has been ongoing.
CASE NO #ABC/16-71/GP/03/DC35
The first Respondent Maccabi FC, Second Respondent Sello Motheta and Third Respondent Dumisane Bohale and Vaal Professionals FC.
The Respondents were charged with misconduct in terms of the Uniform Rules and Regulations on Ethics and Anti-Corruption, for having tried to influence the game between Vaal Professionals and Maccabi FC
-1st and 2nd Respondents are found guilty as charged;
– Sello Motheta is banned from all football activities for a period of six (6) years;
– First and second Respondents are jointly and severally fined an amount of R240000-00 with 50% payable prior play offs;
– failure to pay will result in the first Respondent not participating in the coming play offs;
– The third Respondent found not guilty;
– The first and second Respondent to jointly and severally pay the costs of the complainant inclusive of the Counsel’s costs;
– The complaint fee to be refunded