Africa's 2026 World Cup Spots Confirmed
Africa Has Had Their Extra World Cup Spots Confirmed
Africa can look forward to the 2026 World Cup after FIFA confirmed that CAF will have at least nine nations taking part.
CAF have been sending five teams to World Cup competitions since their allocation was increased from three spots for the 1998 World Cup in France, and are still waiting to see one of their representatives make it to the semi-finals of the competition.
As the joint biggest confederation in the world with regards to nations, 55 countries alongside Europe's UEFA, CAF will be happy to be guaranteed nine places at 2026 World Cup, and there could be more good news as this can increase to 10 depending on the new "intercontinental play-off tournament".
CAF are one of only two confederations, along with the Asian Football Confederation (AFC), never to have had a team finish in the top four of the tournament
The full allotments are as follows, as confirmed during the 67th FIFA Congress in Barain this week:
AFC: 8.5 slots*
CAF: 9.5 slots*
CONCACAF: 6.5 slots*
CONMEBOL: 6.5 slots*
OFC: 1.5 slots*
UEFA: 16 slots
*The approved slot allocation includes an intercontinental play-off tournament involving six teams to decide the last two FIFA World Cup berths.
The play-off system will work as follows:
- Play-off tournament for two remaining slots
- The above allocation accounts for 46 of the 48 participating teams. The proposal reviewed by the Bureau of the Council includes a play-off tournament involving six teams to decide the last two FIFA World Cup berths:
- One team per confederation with the exception of UEFA + one additional team from the confederation of the host country;
- Two teams to be seeded based on the FIFA/Coca-Cola World Ranking. The seeded teams will play for a FIFA World Cup berth against the winners of the first two knockout games involving the four unseeded teams;
- Tournament to be played in the host country(ies) and to be used as a test event for the FIFA World Cup;
- Existing play-off window of November 2025 suggested as tentative date for the 2026 edition.
Do you think the new slot allocation gives Bafana Bafana bigger chances to qualify for the World Cup? Have your say in the comments section below.