Conte: Why I Dropped Moses Against Man City
Antonio Conte: Why I Dropped Victor Moses Against Manchester City
Chelsea manager Antonio Conte has explained why he dropped Nigeria international Victor Moses for his side's 1-0 loss to Premier League rivals Manchester City on Saturday.
The former Juventus boss decided to deploy Cesar Azpilicueta at right wing-back against City instead of the 26-year-old, who has been a regular in the Blues' starting line-up throughout the season.
Asked why Moses was benched for the clash against the Citizens, Conte told members of the media that his decision was purely based on trying to keep the player fresh.
"Morata played three games in seven days and got injured," Conte said, as quoted by ESPN.
"It's not simple for our wing-backs. Moses played two games against Stoke and Atletico, (Marcos) Alonso one and a half because he came off early against Stoke.
"You have to try not to put your players in difficulty, but you also take a risk (by not playing them) because Moses is an important player for us.
"To play three games in seven days, you risk. With Morata it was the same, but I made this decision to risk Morata in this game because imagine the criticism if I decided to put him on the bench."
Moses has made seven appearances for the Stamford Bridge side this season, scoring one goal so far.
Do you think Conte's decision backfired? Have your say in the comments section below.