New Real Star: Why I Snubbed Barca & Co.
New Real Madrid Star: Why I Snubbed FC Barcelona & Company
Real Madrid recently beat FC Barcelona to one of their targets in this window, and the new Los Blancos star has now revealed why he snubbed the Catalan giants and other interested clubs.
Dani Ceballos, who was named the Player of the Tournament at the recent U21 Euros, was presented as Real player on Thursday.
The 20-year-old was also targeted by Barca, as was made public by his former club Real Betis' vice president Lorenzo Serra Ferrer, and Ceballos has now explained why he chose Zinedine Zidane's side.
"I told my agent that I only wanted to negotiate with Real Madrid, and today I'm where I wanted to be," he said at his unveiling, according to Real’s official website.
"I'm very proud to be pulling on this shirt. I'm coming to the best club of all time, which right now is the best in the world.
"I'm going to work every waking moment to show that I've come into a family and a team that wants to win everything."
Ceballos, who will wear the No. 24 shirt at the Santiago Bernabeu, also explained that Los Blancos coach Zidane played an important role in his decision.
"It was a factor in coming here," he added.
"He's been my idol since I was young, I used to watch him play, and to think a legend for Real Madrid and the French national team is going to be my coach is a real honour.
"I'm sure I'll learn a lot from him and it'll make me a better player."
Ceballos, who is said to have cost €17 million (R257 million), is Real's second signing in this window, following the arrival of Theo Hernandez.
What do you make of Real's transfer business so far? Have your say in the comments section below.