Pique Confirms PSG Offer & Explains Neymar Tweet
Gerard Pique Confirms Paris Saint-Germain Offer & Explains Neymar Tweet
FC Barcelona defender Gerard Pique has confirmed that Neymar has had an offer from Paris Saint-Germain, and also explained his controversial "he stays" tweet.
The Spaniard tweeted "he stays" on Sunday night, along with a picture of Neymar and himself, which many fans and experts saw as the end of the "Neymar to PSG" saga.
However, Pique put his tweet into perspective just two days later, saying it was based on a personal feeling and not an official statement, and also confirmed that Neymar has indeed had an offer from the French giants on the table.
"My tweet was nothing official, it doesn't depend on me," he said at a press conference, as quoted by ESPN's Samuel Marsden.
"Only Neymar can say what will happen, but I hope he stays. Personal opinion from conversations I've had with him. It's my intuition.
"I try to explain to Neymar, as a teammate and a friend, the situation he's in.
"I would say don't go to a league which, with all due respect, is not as good."
Reports emerged last week that Neymar had received a big-money offer from PSG, with the French giants said to be prepared to pay his €222 million (R3.3 billion) buyout clause.
To get all the latest information on the "Neymar to PSG" saga, read our feature, in which we spoke to a Barca insider, in this week's Soccer Laduma, edition 1033, out in the shops from today.